1 2 3 4
Numbers 1 to 10 Gus would love to teach
While he's having fun playing at the beach
Learning numbers is really no chore
Especially when it comes to number four
Do you know what Gus' favourite treat is, in the summertime?
Ice cream! He has four flavours:
Hokey-pokey, strawberry, vanilla and lime
Come on Gus, lick without delay
Or else the summer sun, will melt it all away!
- Intro: When you hear the numbers show your fingers to count along.
- Listen to the song.
- 'Frozen ice cream or melted ice cream.' Teacher beats a drum or claps hands. When the teacher makes a loud sound the children stand up; when the teacher plays a soft sound the children lie down. Dynamics is the varying levels of loudness and softness.
- Teacher plays a gradual decline in sounds from loud to soft (children slowly move down) and then from soft to loud (children slowly stand up).
- Ask children to put their hands behind their back and say "show me four fingers?"
- Write the number 4
- Write the word - four
- Draw four objects
- Pretend you are an ice cream, the sun is shining and it's getting hotter and hotter, what is happening to you - act it out.
- Ask children to close their eyes and imagine their four flavoured ice cream. What flavours are they? What colour is each flavour? Is the ice cream big or small?
- Draw or paint your ice cream with four flavours.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.