The Jolly Ship
Children will love to sing and dance
along with this fun action song!
Oh around and around went the jolly, jolly ship.
Oh around and around went she.
Oh around and around went the jolly, jolly ship,
till she sank to the bottom of the sea.
“Pull her up, Pull her up” said the captain of the ship.
“Pull her up, Pull her up” said she.
“Pull her up, Pull her up” said the captain of the ship,
till she pops to the top of the sea!
- Listen to the song. How does this song make you feel? Happy? Sad?
- The music has a Caribbean sound can you hear the bongo drums?
- Drum along to the beat of the song using a drum, bucket, pencils and desk, hands on floor etc.
- Watch the video of the children performing the song. Use props to act out the actions of the song e.g. clothes, make up, face paint
- Draw or paint your own “Jolly Ship”.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning “Do it, see it and hear it!”
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics – ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. “ ” ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study – phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.