Rere Atu Maori Poi Song
A classic New Zealand Maori Poi Song.
This Waiata is all about the journey
of a Poi when dancing!
Rere tika e
Rere tika e
Fly to me
Fly straight along
Fly true, fly true.
- Listen to the song and see if you can follow the beat using body percussion e.g. slapping knees, or tapping your chest. Feel the steady pulse of the beat!
- Make your own Maori poi (see blog for more details).
- Watch the video song and note how the poi actions match the words of the song. Use your Maori poi and match the actions to the words of the song..
- Play the instrumental version - can you dance along?
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning “Do it, see it and hear it!”
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics – ask children a variety of questions..
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in. .
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. “ ” ! ? . , .
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics)..
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean..
- Word study – phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.