One Two Buckle My Shoe
Sing and Learn the Actions!
Buckle my shoe;
Knock on the door;
Pick up sticks;
Lay them straight;
A big, fat hen!
Dig and delve;
Maids ' a-courting;
Maids in the kitchen;
Maids in waiting;
My plate 's empty!
It is cool to rap this rhyme
so join with me and keep in time.
- Feel the beat! Play a drum, bucket, pot or pan and play along with the beat of the song. Feel the steady pulse or the heartbeat of the song.
- Play the song again chant and play along.
- With a partner have turns miming a scene from the song and see if they can guess which scene you have chosen?
- Count forwards to twenty and then backwards from 20. Ask what comes before and what comes after questions? e.g. What comes after 12? 13 What comes before 19? 18
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.