Old King Cole Lyrics
Old King Cole was a
merry old soul and
a merry old soul was he.
He called for his pipe and
he called for his bowl and
he called for his fiddlers three.
Every fiddler, he had a fiddle
and a very fine fiddle had he;
Twee tweedle dee, tweedle
dee, went the fiddlers.
Oh, there 's none so rare,
as can compare with King
Cole and his fiddlers three!
Old King Cole Learning Activities
- Listening to music is a central focus for learning. Listen to the song. Ask children to identify the sections of the song when a soloist is singing and when a group is singing?
- Challenge - sing along to the instrumental version.
- Make your own crown out of cardboard and decorate it.
- Role play "Old King Cole" and wear appropriate props e.g. your crown
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.