I Insect – Insect Song
Learn the letter I the fun way!
It’s easy when you link the letter with a sound, word, matching picture and sing along song!
How many times can you spot the letter I?
Flea, fly, mosquito,
So many insects, don 't you think?
Why the praying mantis just gave me a wink.
Achievement Objective: we are learning the letter name and sound of the letter i
Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming words;
- Rhyming words - think, wink
- Contractions - don 't = do not
- Compound words - butterfly, grasshopper
- Word endings - th, ing
- Fl blend - flea, fly (create a chart with other fl words e.g. flick, flop, flew)
Sing and read along to the I Insect Love to Sing YouTube Song
- Print out the song PDF and highlight all letter 'i 's in the text - count how many you have highlighted!
- Draw 3 objects starting with the letter i
- Give children a print out with photos of insects on it - use a sketching pencil to sketch out the insect. Around the outside of the insect use adjectives to describe the insect e.g. long, spiky, fluffy