Sing and Learn the Actions!
came to town,
riding on a pony.
He stuck a feather
in his cap and
called it macaroni.
Repeat three times
- Listen to the song and ask what instruments can you hear? E.g. drum, piano, flute, trombone.
- Play the song again and choose a found sound (tap the floor), body percussion (slap knees) or instrument.
- Challenge – sing and play along to the instrumental version of the song.
- Make your own hat and stick a feather on it.
- Make your own drum - be creative with a stretched balloon and tin can or pot, use chopsticks or pencils as drum sticks.
- Imaginary orchestra – choose an instrument from an orchestra and play your imaginary instrument along with the music.
- Can others guess what instrument you are playing?
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning “Do it, see it and hear it!”
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics – ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. “ ” ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study – phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.