Wee Willie Winkie runs
through the town.
Upstairs and downstairs in his nightgown.
Rapping at the window, crying through the lock.
‘Are all the children in their beds?
It’s past eight o’clock!’
- The dynamics is the varying levels of loudness or softness. Children choose an instrument and play along to the song loudly; then play the song again and play their instruments softly. Ask “does the loud or soft accompanying music suit the song better?”
- Challenge – sing and play along to the instrumental version of the song.
- Ask children what time they go to bed? Make a graph of all the times and find out which is the most popular bed-time.
- Ask why is it important for us to sleep?
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning “Do it, see it and hear it!”
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics – ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. “ ” ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study – phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.