Here is the steam train,
coming down the track.
Now it’s going forward,
now it’s going back.
Now the bell is ringing,
now the whistle blows.
Wow what a lot of noise it makes,
as the engine slows!
Here is an airplane,
flying through the sky.
See the plane flying low,
see the plane flying high.
Now lots of dripping drops of rain,
falling from the clouds.
Hear the thunder clapping,
really, really, LOUD!
Here is the moon so big and round.
Here is the rocket ship on the ground.
Two astronauts will ride this ship.
Up the ladder, quick, quick, quick!
On go the helmets, down goes the mask.
Astronauts ready for their task.
Countdown begins 3, 2, 1!
The outer space journey has begun!
- Feel the beat – click your fingers in time to the beat (steady pulse).
- Play the song again and choose an untuned percussion instrument or home-made instrument (e.g. rice in a plastic bottle) to play to the rhythm of the song (short and long sounds that fit over an underlying beat).
- In what section of the song does the tempo (speed of the beat) slow down?
- Mime the actions of the song. Use found sounds and instruments to create a sound scape to match the mime. E.g. a pot and pan for thunder.
- Explore dance moves to match each verse. Be aware of your own space as you move around.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning “Do it, see it and hear it!”
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics – ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. “ ” ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study – phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.