There Was A Crooked Man Lyrics
There was a crooked man
and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence
against a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat,
which caught a crooked mouse,
and they all lived together,
in a little crooked house.
There Was A Crooked Man Learning Activities
- Listen to the song. Ask children does the sound of the music (colour tone is the specific sound quality of a voice or instrument) suit the meaning of the words? Ask children to create their own "crooked sounding" music by using found sounds or instruments.
- Play the song again and children play their “crooked sounding” music.
- Children can use their bodies to make crooked, curled, twisted, shapes. The teacher calls a shape and counts 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 freeze!
- Draw or paint a picture featuring the crooked characters from the song.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning “Do it, see it and hear it!”
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics – ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. “ ” ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study – phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.