Sing and Learn the Actions!
Star light, star bright,
first star I see tonight.
I wish I may, I wish I might,
have the wish I wish tonight.
- Listen to the song. Ask children to describe the mood of the song? Ask “How does the song make you feel?”. Play the song again and ask children to sing along with sweet, soft sounding voices.
- Challenge – sing along to the instrumental version of the song.
- Ask children to sit down comfortably. Pretend they are holding onto a balloon. Take a deep breath and blow into the balloon remember to keep the balloon squeezed tight so as not to lose any of the air. Repeat the process three times. On the third time close eyes and make a wish – then take an extra big breath and blow your wish into the balloon. Tie the balloon into a knot. Count down 3, 2, 1 and let your balloon with the wish go and float away. Say “and may my wish come true.”
- Creative visualization – draw or paint a picture of your wish.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning “Do it, see it and hear it!”
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics – ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. “ ” ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study – phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.