One Two Three Four Five Once I Caught A Fish Alive
Sing and Learn the Actions!
One, two, three, four, five,
once I caught a fish alive.
Six, seven, eight, nine, ten,
then I let it go again.
Why did you let it go?
Because it bit my finger so.
Which finger did it bite?
This little finger on my right!
- "Class orchestra" Listen to the song. Each child chooses an instrument or a body percussion sound (clapping hands, slapping thighs etc.) Let the orchestra play!
- Play different parts of the song - divide the orchestra into groups and play allocated parts E.g. one group plays along with the counting numbers and the other group plays along with the rest of the lyrics.
- Use 10 buttons or bottle tops. Ask children to create even groups using the buttons or bottle tops e.g. 2 groups of 5 or 5 groups of 2. Talk about even and odd numbers.
- Place your hands in a shallow tray of paint and stamp your hands onto paper or thin card board.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.