On The Farm
Children will love to sing and dance
along with this fun Animal song!
On the farm there lives a cow
and that cow she gives us milk.
Milk to drink!
On the farm there lives a hen
and that hen she lays an egg.
I like it boiled!
On the farm there lives a cat
and that cat can catch a rat.
On the farm there lives a horse
and that horse takes us for rides.
It 's fun of course!
On the farm there lives a sheep
and that sheep she gives us wool.
It keeps me warm!
On the farm there lives a pig
and that pig makes grunting sounds.
And mucks around!
On the farms there lives a dog
and that dog rounds up the sheep.
Sure saves my feet!
- Listen to the song. Ask children to identify the animals mentioned in the song.
- Sing each verse using the animal sounds only e.g. cow - moo, moo, mooÉ this is an ostinato (a continually repeated musical phrase or rhythm).
- What is the function and purpose of each animal on the farm?
- Watch the video song of "On the Farm."
- Explore through dance, how the animals featured in the song move.
- Guess the animal - show the movement of one of the animals featured in the song for others to guess.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.