Mary Mary Quite Contrary
Sing and Learn the Actions!
Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
and pretty maids all in a row
and pretty maids all in a row.
- Pitch is the degree of highness or lowness of a note. Sing along to the song and ask children to raise their arms when the melody goes up and to lower their arms when the melody goes down.
- Draw or paint a picture of what grows in your garden. Create your own imaginary garden!
- What is the most popular flower? Make a list of what each child's favourite flower is? Make a class graph and find out what is the favourite flower?
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.