Here is the ostrich straight and tall.
Nodding his head above us all.
Here is the long snake on the ground.
Wriggling upon the stones he found.
Here are the birds that fly so high.
Spreading their wings across the sky.
Here is the hedgehog prickly and small.
Rolling himself into a ball.
Here is the spider scuttling around.
Treading so lightly on the ground.
Here are the children fast asleep and here at night the owls do peep.
- Tone colour is the specific sound quality of a voice or instrument. Listen to the sound effects in "Here is the Ostrich."
- Create your own sound sources to match the finger play e.g. crunching up paper, fingers walking on a drum or table, triangle etc.
- Mime one of the scenes in the finger play - who am I?
- Retell the main events of the finger play using a story board.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.