Gus The Hippo
Children will love to sing and dance
along with this fun Animal song!
*My name is Gus,
I travel by bus,
people make an incredible fuss.
Why do they make such a fuss?
Because I 'm a hippopotamus!
As I was walking down the street,
a hippopotamus I happened to meet.
Striking yellow shoes adorned his feet, his red and blue suit looked oh so neat.
I 'm cool!
- Listen to the song. Make a rhythm pattern using the rhyming words e.g. Gus, bus, fuss, hippopotamus; or street, meet, feet, neat
- Chant and clap the words rhythm patterns.
- How do you travel to school?
- Create a list of the different ways children get to school; walk, bus, car, bike etc.
- Sort into groups and make a bar graph.
- View the video song of "Gus the Hippo."
- Draw or paint a scene from the video song.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.