Five Cup Cakes
Sing and Learn the Actions!
Five cup cakes in the baker's shop,
round and fat with a lolly on the top.
Along came ___________ with a dollar one day.
Bought a cup cake and ate it right away!
Four cup cakes in the baker's shop . . .
Three cup cakes in the baker's shop . . .
Two cup cakes in the baker's shop . . .
One cup cake in the baker's shop . . .
No cup cakes in the baker's shop,
nothing round and fat with a lolly on the top.
"Oh dear!" said the baker with the empty tray.
"I'll have to make some more" and she did it right away.
- Choose 5 children's names, chant and clap the rhythm pattern of each name e.g. Jeremy is three claps XXX - visually display on a white board.
- Play the song and include the children's names in the song "Along came Jeremy with a dollar one day"
- Draw or paint a picture of 5 cup-cakes.
- Ask questions like if I had 5 cup-cakes and ate two cup-cakes how many cupcakes would I have left?
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.