Diddle Diddle Dumpling My Son John
Sing and Learn the Actions!
Diddle, diddle, dumpling, my son John
went to bed with his trousers on.
One shoe off and the other shoe on.
Diddle, diddle, dumpling, my son John.
Say: Where's your other shoe, John?
- Listen to the song - can you hear the glockenspiel? Find out what a glockenspiel is? Ask do you like the sound of a glockenspiel? What is the difference between a glockenspiel and a xylophone?
- What is a dumpling?
- Draw or paint a picture of "John" with one shoe off and one shoe on!
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.