In the dark still black of night,
when my eyes are shut so tight.
I dream I'm an astronaut, exploring space,
zooming in my space rocket, to a far out place.
Guided by the twinkling stars,
I'm on a mission to visit Mars!
- Children lie down and close their eyes. Listen to the song.
- Ask children about the mood - the atmosphere or feelings associated with the song. How does the song make you feel? Does the music make you feel like you are out in space? What can you imagine while you are listening to the song?
- 'Crayon scratch art' Use bright coloured crayons to completely colour in a blank piece of paper (blocks in different colours works well), don't leave any white paper showing. Use a brush to paint black paint over the entire picture. When the black paint has dried completely, start scratching the black paint with a sharp stick like a bamboo skewer or the back end of a thin paint brush. Create a space scene. It's magic!
- Talk about the planets, what is unique about each planet? : Mars, Venus, Earth, Mercury, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
- Use this sentence to help remember the order of the planets - 'My very enormous monster just sucked up Neptune.'
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning 'Do it, see it and hear it!'
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in. use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.