While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night
Sing and Learn the Actions!
While shepherds watched their flocks by night,
All seated on the ground,
The angel of the Lord came down,
And glory shone around.
‘Fear not,’ he said, for mighty dread
Had seized their troubled minds.
‘Glad tidings of great joy I bring
To you and all mankind.
‘To you in David’s town, this day
Is born of David’s line
The Saviour who is Christ the Lord,
And this shall be the sign.
‘The heavenly Babe you there shall find
To human view displayed,
All meanly wrapped in swaddling bands,
And in a manger laid.’
Thus spake the seraph, and forthwith
Appeared a shining throng
Of angels praising God, who thus
Addressed their joyful song.
‘All glory be to God on high,
And to the earth be peace;
Goodwill henceforth from heaven to men
Begin and never cease!’
- Listen to the song take note of the pitch – the degree of highness or lowness of a note.
- Be your own conductor and feel the pitch – raise your arms high if the pitch is high and lower your arms when the pitch is low, raise or lower your arms accordingly to the degree of highness or lowness.
- What musical instrument is played in the introduction? Church organ
- Challenge: Sing along to the instrumental version also great for concerts and performances!
- Make your own Christmas candle.
- Explore dance movements using pathways to match the mood of the music. Build up a dance vocabulary relating to movement.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning “Do it, see it and hear it!”
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics – ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. “ ” ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study – phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.