The First Noel
Sing and Learn the Actions!
The first Noel the angels
Was to certain poor shepherds
in fields as they lay;
In fields where they lay keeping
On a cold winter’s night that
was so deep.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel,
Born is the King of Israel.
They looked up and saw a star,
Shining in the east, beyond
And to the earth it gave
And so it continued both day
And by the light of that same star,
Three Wise Men came from country far;
To seek for a King was their intent,
And to follow the star wherever it went.
This star drew nigh to the
O’er Bethlehem it took its
rest; And there it did both
stop and stay,
Right over the place where
Then entered in those Wise
Fell reverently upon
And offered there in his
Their gold and myrrh and
Then let us all with one accord,
Sing praises to our heavenly
That hath made heaven and
earth of naught,
And with his blood mankind
- Singing in tune can be learnt through regular practice, correct breathing and posture and focused listening.
- Sing along with the harmony - two or more notes together.
- Challenge: Sing along to the instrumental version also great for concerts and performances!
- ‘Christmas stocking’ be creative and make your own festive stocking. Use a big red sock, or make one out of felt or material and decorate with lace, bells, ribbons etc.
- Find out the origin of “The First Noel”
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning “Do it, see it and hear it!”
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics – ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. “ ” ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study – phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.