Ding Dong Merrily On High
Sing and Learn the Actions!
Ding dong! Merrily on high.
In heav'n the bells are ringing.
Ding dong! Verily the sky.
Is riv'n with angel singing.
Hosanna in excelsis!
E'en so here below, below,
Let steeple bells be swungen,
And 'Io, io, io!'
By priest and people sungen.
Pray you, dutifully prime.
Your matin chime, ye ringers;
May you beautifully rime.
Your evetime song, ye singers.
- 'Feel the Rhythm' - the short and long sounds that fit over an underlying beat. Children find a soft source sound to match the mood of the song e.g. untuned percussion instruments - finger cymbals, maracas, sleigh bells etc. Found sounds - e.g. Plastic bottles and fillers like rice, lentils, pepper corns etc. Play your instrument along to the rhythm of the song.
- Challenge: Sing along to the instrumental version - great for performances, school concerts and choirs.
- Fill several glasses with different quantities of water.
- Hit the glasses gently with a spoon.
- Place the glasses in order from low to high sounds.
- Make your own bells using paper baking cups and string. Pierce a small hole through the baking cup and thread through string, use cello tape to secure. You can use glitter to decorate your bells.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.