I Insect (Insect Song)
Sing and Learn the Actions!
Flea, fly, mosquito,
So many insects, don 't you think?
Why the praying mantis just gave me a wink.
Achievement Objective: we are learning the letter name and sound of the letter i
Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming words;
- Rhyming words - think, wink
- Contractions - don 't = do not
- Compound words - butterfly, grasshopper
- Word endings - th, ing
- Fl blend - flea, fly (create a chart with other fl words e.g. flick, flop, flew)
Sing and read along to the I Insect Love to Sing YouTube Song
- Print out the song PDF and highlight all letter 'i 's in the text - count how many you have highlighted!
- Draw 3 objects starting with the letter i
- Give children a print out with photos of insects on it - use a sketching pencil to sketch out the insect. Around the outside of the insect use adjectives to describe the insect e.g. long, spiky, fluffy