Hickory Dickory Dock
Sing and Learn the Actions!
Hickory dickory dock,
the mouse ran up the clock.
The clock struck one,
the mouse ran down.
Hickory dickory dock!
Hickory dickory dare,
the pig flew up in the air.
The man in the moon,
sent him down quite soon.
Hickory dickory dare!
- Feel the beat (steady pulse) of the song - choose an instrument (e.g. rhythm sticks) or use body percussion (e.g. clap hands) to play the beat of the song.
- Children hold hands and form an outside circle; a smaller group of children hold hands and form an inner circle. The outside circle walk in a clockwise direction and the inner group walks in an anti-clockwise direction, sing along.
- Draw or paint a picture of the clock placing the numbers in the correct place.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.