Hey Diddle Diddle
Sing and Learn the Actions!
Hey diddle diddle,
the cat and the fiddle.
The cow jumped over the moon.
The little dog laughed
to see such fun,
and the dish ran away with the spoon.
- Play the song - ask can you hear the fiddle or violin in the song? What is a violin? Do you like the sound of a violin? What part of the orchestra section is the violin in?
- Listen to a song played by an orchestra.
- Think about a non-sense picture - can you come up with your own funny characters?
- Use your body to show and express the actions to the words of the song.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning "Do it, see it and hear it!"
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.