Away In A Manger
Sing and Learn the Actions!
Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
the little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head.
The stars in the bright sky looked down where He lay,
the little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay.
The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes,
but little Lord Jesus, no crying He makes.
I love Thee, Lord Jesus, look down from
the sky and stay by my cradle till morning is nigh.
Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay.
Close by me forever and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care
and take us to heaven to live with Thee there.
- Learn to sing with expression. Listen to the song. Do they like the song? Why? How does the music make them feel? Do they like the singer's voice? Can they recognize the harmony in the song?
- Watch the video song and focus on the singer, observing her facial expression and body language as she communicates the feeling of the song.
- Play the song again and invite children to sing along focusing on making the words clear and using expression to communicate the meaning of the song.
- Challenge - Sing along to the instrumental version - great for performances, school concerts and choirs.
- Create actions to go with the words of the song.
- Invite individual children to perform the song in front of the class.
- Encourage children to take a bow at the completion of the performance and for the audience to acknowledge the performance by clapping.
- Draw or paint a scene from the song.
- Sing and read along to the YouTube song to achieve multi-sensory learning 'Do it, see it and hear it!'
Print out the song PDF
- Read the song lyrics - ask children a variety of questions.
- Re-read the song lyrics and ask children to join in.
- Recognise and use a variety of punctuation when reading. " " ! ? . ,
- Look at print and conventions (bold, italics).
- Talk about interesting/challenging words and discuss what they mean.
- Word study - phonic knowledge, compound words, rhyming word, contractions etc.