Dough is a great medium for children because:
- Dough is easy to manipulate.
- Dough is great for inspiring imagination.
- Dough helps to build creative thinking.
- Dough enhances sensory experiences.
- Dough helps to develop hand eye coordination.
- Dough helps to build mathematical concepts such as weight and size.
- Dough helps to build language skills.
- Dough helps to build social skills.
Fun songs to share with children that will stimulate dough play:
How to make Dough:
- 6 cups of flour
- 3 cups of salt
- Any colour of food colouring in a jug of water
- Mix ingredients with water until right consistency
- Store in an airtight container.
Learning Activities with Dough:
- Naming ingredients.
- The feel of the ingredients.
- Choosing a colour.
- Measuring water, flour and salt.
- Talk about the changes that occur when water and flour are mixed.
- Using judgement on whether it needs more water or more flour and checking the consistency of the dough.
- Make letters of the alphabet while singing along to our Alphabet Songs
- Make numbers – be inspired by our number songs